Travel Update: Thailand Trip – From The Tree Tops To The Beaches

When traveling abroad, a lot of time is spent getting from place to place, and provided you have the free time to travel this way, the various mini-journeys and experiences along the way are often part of the fun and excitement of the overall trip. Over the past few days Lindsay and I have made our way from one tip of this beautiful country to the other. We started at sunrise in a treehouse in Laos, just north of the Thai border, and around 36 hours later we found ourselves on a small island off the southern coast of Thailand. Here’s how we got there…

We woke up with the morning sun in a treehouse around 100 feet above the forest floor somewhere deep in a Laos forest. We harnessed up for several thousand feet of cables on seven different zip lines and hiked through thick brush and rice fields for about three hours before we arrived at a small village where we waited for a truck.

The only way into and out of the treehouse we stayed in for two nights was by zip line.

Getting to the zip lines required a bit of work, too.

We sat in the back of the pickup as it made its way through dirt roads and a small stream for about 45 minutes before making it to the paved road for another hour and a half jaunt through various villages. Once at the Laos border town of Houay Xai we took a long tail boat across the Mekong river to the Thailand border, then walked about a mile to the bus stop, running the last 100 yards as the bus was just pulling away as we were walking up. We boarded the dilapidated school bus and cruised another two and a half hours to Chiang Rai where we had enough time to stop at the local night bazaar for some of our favorite Thai cuisine. From there it was a 15 minute tuk-tuk ride across town to the airport to catch our 9:30pm 90-minute flight to Thailand’s capital city of Bangkok

Foreign snacks and lots of laughs in the tuk-tuk.

We arrived in Bangkok close to midnight and found a few comfortable couches to sleep on for about four and a half hours until security woke us up. By that time our airline was open so we checked in, proceeded to our gate, and slept on some chairs for another two hours or so before the 7:30am flight.

Bed time. Actually one of the most comfortable beds I've slept on all trip.

Once aboard our next plane it was again a quick hour and some change flight to small town of Trang. From the tiny local airport we hopped in a passenger van with a grip of other tourists and drove for an hour to a pier and waited a few more hours for a ferry to pick is up and start hopping from island to island.

We made two mid-water stops at various islands to let others off onto long tail boats, then around 5:30pm the evening after our mini-journey across the country started we finally made it to the pier at Koh Phi Phi. With our packs full and heavy, we wondered the island for another hour before finding a guest house to settle down in for the next few days where I’m posting this now…

Getting on the ferry.

What’s next on the agenda? Enjoying the sun, beach, and ocean, getting Scuba certified and diving some of the best waters in the world, and ringing in the New Year with a giant beach party. More updates to come!

Have a safe and happy New Year!

2 thoughts on “Travel Update: Thailand Trip – From The Tree Tops To The Beaches

  1. deb

    WoW!! Thanks for the update. What a trip. When I see the opportunity to eat sponge crunch in the back of a tuk-tuk, i really appreciate living vicariously through you two. Hope your Christmas in the tree tops was incredible and New Years on the beach is everything you’ve read about and more!
    Bless you both and thanks for keeping us connected.

  2. Randy

    WOW – your blog is wonderful and it sounds like you are having an amazing adventure. Happy New Year to you both.


Leave a Reply